What to do...

If you think you can no longer continue at your institution for whatever reason then don't panic! – I wasn’t happy with my course at University and didn’t want to change courses within the University as I had originally chosen that University for that specific course! I booked an appointment with my Students Union advice centre and explained that I wanted to transfer. I had nearly completed my second year at this point and it is relatively uncommon for people wanting to change at this point (it’s more common for students in their first year wanting to change) but this didn’t mean I had less chance of my transfer request being realised. – It helps if you’ve left it late into your studies and want to transfer to say you have – “personal reasons” to why you need to change. This gives the benefit of the authorities not able to ask why you want to transfer (reducing the awkwardness of explaining to your tutors that you hate your subject) and will gain you the compassionate card. This is only really necessary for people later on in their studies – those of you who are in your first years and wanting to transfer – just be honest, institutions will be used to people who want to transfer and they will do their best to help you out.

Before you tell your course leaders that you are going to leave, it is wise to first e-mail the admissions office of the University you want to transfer too, explaining your situation. If they say that you’re likely to be accepted (i.e., do you have the right grades for the new course) then now is the time to e-mail your own institutions admin office explaining you wish to transfer.

If you are doing a business course (for example – this applies to any subject) and have passed your first year – it is more than likely you can transfer these first year CATS credits to your new course – meaning you can start your second year at the new institution rather than starting again at the first. If you have completed your second year, it may be likely you could transfer your second year credits aswell – ASK!

You will probably have to re-apply to your new institution again via UCAS. Yes it means you’ll have to re-enter all your GCSE results again and write a new personal statement but it’s worth it. You will need an academic reference, a good one! Make sure you select the correct year of entry you want to enter. Try and be swift with getting your application in. Once the new institution receives this application they may ask you for an interview, or ask for proof of your first year grades and modules seeing if they match up with the first year modules you would have taken on your new course. You’ll probably also need to send proof of you’re a-level results etc.

If you get accepted, you’ll have to confirm this via UCAS. Once you are you’ll need to tell your previous institution that you wish to formally withdraw – only do this once you’ve been confirmed at your new institution.

Next have a look at student finance concerns.

University Transfer Guide